Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Not necessarily junk, but not what I thought...

I wont say that it is junk, but let's just say that I'm not all that excited about the hive-top feeder I bought from Dadant.

Everyone I talk to tells me that I really need to ditch my Boardman hive-front feeder. I know that the front feeders encourage robbing, and that's the last thing I want with my young colony. But since they're so new, I have to keep feeding them, especially with the almost monsoon-like weather we've had here in North Carolina, and the fact that I got started later than usual.

I went to the local Dadant office and purchased the hive-top feeder pictured right) that I saw in their catalog. Actually I bought two, one for my active hive and one for the second one I have in storage for next spring. When I got them home, I put them together (the white inner sections snap in place to keep your bees from drowning) and waited for several days to install it.

So I work my hive, checking for eggs and work going on...and when I finished my inner hive examination, I decided to put the feeder on, fill it with syrup, and leave. Everything was fine -- or so I though -- until I noticed some of my bees coming out of the back of the hive. Thinking that I must have done something wrong, I started checking and found a 1/2 inch gap on the back of the hive...from where the feeder doesn't sit flush on top of the brood box. It was so wide, I could see the frames in the brood box. Front side? Same thing! Needless to say, I was irritated by the whole thing.

After saying a few select words which I won't repeat here, I carefully pulled the feeder off, making sure not to spill any syrup, and put the Boardman hive-front feeder back on again.

I plan to keep them. I know, I know..I should return them. After all, I am about 45 minutes from the Virginia warehouse of Dadant & Sons. But I like the overall design and maybe I can weight them down and use a heat source to bend or mold the plastic flat so I can use it on my hives, especially for use this winter.

Most everything I own in beekeeping equipment came from Dadant. They've been really nice to me and helpful. But this is one piece of equipment I would never buy again or at least bring home without checking it out first.

Until next time, bee-have yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Greetings:

Thanks for visiting Mark's Bees. Feel free to leave your thoughts and ideas on my posts. I'm always open for ideas from other beekeepers.

All comments are moderated to eliminate spam so that's why they may not appear instantly.

Thanks again and please visit often!

Mark